Our priority is our people - that's you, our staff and the wider community we work within.
We fully understand the severity of the situation and are working closely with students, colleagues and partners within the city to ensure we're providing you with the most up-to-date advice and support possible. See below for the changes we've made in response to the Covid-19 advice from the Government.
We will be running a reduced physical service until further notice. Where possible, staff will be working remotely and services moved online as of Thursday 19th March.
All YUSU venues are now closed until further notice. Take a look at what we did with all our perishable food and drink when we closed!
The YUSU Student Centre is also closed until further notice.
Based on recent Government advice relating to Covid-19, YUSU have made the difficult decision to cancel the Graduation Dinner and Summer Ball 2020. We know many of you will be disappointed but at times of unprecedented uncertainty we are left with no option.
If you’ve already bought a ticket we will be giving everyone a full refund from Monday 23rd March. Please note that refunds can take up to 10 working days to be paid back to the customer.
There is no need to get in touch to request a refund.
We ask that you please be patient with our staff members who are working remotely and adjusting to any obstacles this may cause. They will endeavour to reply to any queries as soon as possible.
Advice and Support Centre
We're working hard to make sure you can still access our Advice and Support Centre. Over the days and weeks ahead, we are migrating all advice and support services online or to remote access where possible. Please contact [email protected] to get in touch with the service, or have a look at our web pages to see if your questions are answered there.
Helpdesk and Finance
Both the main Helpdesk and the Finance Helpdesk will be available to provide support throughout the coming weeks but we are moving that support online. If you need any advice or support please contact either [email protected] or [email protected] and we will get back to you as soon as we can. You can also call us on 01904 323724 (reception) or 01904 324662 (finance).
Following government advice, YUSU has made the difficult decision to ask all student-groups to cease activity whilst the period of social isolation and UK lockdown is in place; this extends to our 18 volunteering projects.
We understand, however, that many of you will want to give your support during this time. There are a number of safe, regulated ways that you can get involved and support both the York campus and city communities:
- You can apply to be a volunteer on the City of York Council website. The council are looking for volunteers to operate remotely to help protect the emotional health and physical wellbeing of residents during the coronavirus situation.
- The NHS are asking for volunteers to help support the unprecedented strain that is currently being placed on our health service. You can sign up to volunteer on the GoodSam website.
- YUSU offers a range of micro-volunteering opportunities that can be done remotely and in the safety of your own home.
- Keep an eye on our Community Group Facebook page for top-tips about looking after your own and others’ wellbeing.
For any further queries, please email Connor Briggs, Community Manager, on [email protected].
Handy links and additional information
- University of York's latest updates
- NHS latest advice
- Foreign Office Travel advice
- Latest information from the Government on Covid-19
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get compensation for my accommodation costs, seeing as I probably won't be coming back to campus?
On Tuesday 24 March, the VC sent an email to all students outlining how you can cancel your accommodation contract from the start of Summer term. Find out more here underneath 'Covid-19 update Tuesday 24 March - health and wellbeing, accommodation, support fund and online teaching"
Can I get a refund on my student group membership?
Please contact the student group directly via email.
Is my society event still going ahead?
YUSU has made the difficult decision to ask all student groups to cancel and cease any further physical activity (e.g. socials, events etc) In the first instance, please get in touch with the society directly.
Will my club still be training?
Due to recent government advice heavily encouraging social distancing, we’ve made the difficult decision to ask for student groups to cancel and cease any further physical activity (e.g. socials, events, training etc)
I am paying for accommodation on campus but due to all teaching moving to online in term 3, I won’t be living in it. Will I get a refund for these accommodation costs?
I'm self-isolating - who do I need to tell?
Please contact the Student Support Hub, and fill out a self-isolation form.
What's happening to the Graduation ceremonies due to take place this year?
Yesterday, the University announced that all graduation ceremonies due to take place this year will be postponed. See here for more information.
How will the buses from and to the university be affected?
First York have been in touch to share the following changes to the University bus schedule:
- Sundays: Will operate a normal Sunday service until 2000, after which evening services on 1, 4, 6, 66 will operate at hourly intervals.
- Monday – Friday: Will operate a Saturday Service with additional early morning journeys Monday to Friday, evening services on 1, 4, 6, 66 will operate at hourly intervals after 2000.
- Saturday: Will operate a normal Saturday service until 2000, after which evening services on 1, 4, 6, 66 will operate at hourly intervals.
They are advising customers to check for updates on the First York Twitter feed and the company’s website.
We will be updating this page as and when we get more questions through from you.
Got a question for us? Send them to [email protected]