Events, venues and services

Due to the national lockdown called on 4th January, our venues (The Courtyard, The Glasshouse, The Lounge, The Kitchen at Alcuin, The Vanbrugh Arms, D-Bar and The Forest) are all closed until further notice. 

The Forest is now closed until further notice. We'll be updating this web page with more developments as they come!

All YUSU services (including finance and our student helpdesk) are available online for Term 2 until further notice. You can get in touch with our reception at [email protected] and finance at [email protected]

You should be able to login to the YUSU website as soon as you have fully enrolled with the University. If you have tried logging on but are still experiencing issues, please contact [email protected].

The following actions require logging on:

  • Buy student-only tickets to events
  • Sign up for student group memberships
  • Check your member information in ‘My Account
  • If you are a signatory of a student group,  to access the Member Dashboard


Wellbeing and support

Yes, a range of University wellbeing and support services continue to be available to students. Though in-person support and advice is necessarily limited due to current Covid-19 restrictions, services continue to be run remotely where face-to-face appointments are not possible. University support services include:

  • Open Door Team - providing professional support for students experiencing mental health or psychological difficulties
  • Student Hub - advice on a range of issues including finance, housing, academic progress issues and support for underrepresented student groups
  • Disability Services - providing advice to students and staff on matters relating to disabilities and ongoing health conditions, including academic support and adjustments
  • College Wellbeing teams, including college tutors
  • Chaplaincy - providing support and pastoral care, and spiritual guidance to all students

Details of the range of support services available on campus and locally are available on the University’s ‘Help and support’ webpage.

The advice services at YUSU and the GSA (for postgraduate students) also provide free, confidential and independent advice and guidance to students on academic, personal and welfare issues, and University policies and processes. YUSU’s Advice & Support Centre (ASC) can be contacted at [email protected] and postgraduate students can contact the GSA advice service via their online referral form.

If you need to self-isolate, you should complete the University’s self-isolation form and you will then be contacted with further information and guidance by someone from the University’s Student Hub. The University has dedicated guidance and information for students who need to self-isolate - read their full guidance here.If you have any particular questions or queries about self-isolating too, you can contact the Student Hub directly.

If you need to report a problem with your room in college accommodation, you can do so online - details of who to contact are available here. If you have reported a problem but remain dissatisfied with the outcome, you can submit a complaint to accommodation services, and details of the complaints process are outlined on the same webpage as the reporting information.

Non-maintenance issues about your college accommodation can be raised with your college team. You can also find information on reporting disciplinary issues, leaving/transferring rooms, college facilities and contracts on the University’s website, here. Online information and guidance about private sector accommodation is also available here.

The Student Hub also provides advice and guidance to students on housing-related issues, including checking tenancy agreements and advising on landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities.

If you experience or witness a disciplinary offence you can report it online via the University’s ‘Report and Support’ tool. Though follow-up support and investigation may require the provision of contact details by the reporting party, the report and Support tool does also allow for anonymous reporting.

A range of wellbeing support services are available for any student that witnesses or experiences an incident of student misconduct. Information and contact details for support services are available on the University’s ‘Help and support’ webpage.

Independent and confidential advice, guidance and support about support and reporting options, and about the University’s student misconduct policies and processes, is available via YUSU’s Advice & Support Centre (ASC), at [email protected].

The Student Hub’s advice team provides advice to students on finance issues, including funding and money worries, and has online financial guidance and information, including information about bursaries, loans, benefits and taxes, here.

The University also makes provision for financial assistance for full-time, current students who are experiencing unexpected financial difficulty due to an unforeseen change in their circumstances, via application to its Student Support Fund. Students in immediate, urgent need of financial assistance are advised to contact the student advice team at the Student Hub to discuss short-term financial assistance options


Student activities

Yes! The vast majority of our clubs, societies, volunteering projects, media groups, and fundraising programmes are still running activities for you to get involved with. Check out our A-Z of clubs and societies to see if there’s anything you’d like to join, and have a look at all the amazing student-led volunteering opportunities we have available too. You can always email the groups or message them on their social media pages if you have any questions about their events and activities!

If you think a group is breaching the rules, please contact their relevant Sabbatical Officer outlining your concerns. They will then investigate the allegation with support from YUSU staff where necessary according to the complaints procedure outlined in the Code of Conduct.

The relevant Officers are:

If you have concerns about an individual or group of students breaching the restrictions outside of student group activity, you should follow the guidance outlined by the University here and, if necessary, report the behaviour.

Yes, absolutely! To set up a new society read through our Guide to Starting a New Society, which outlines the whole ratification process, including the criteria your group will need to meet in order to apply. Then fill out an application form, after which it will be reviewed by Societies Committee at their next meeting. If successful your group will receive a Return to Activity plan and a Covid Toolkit to support you in running your activities safely.

If you want to set up a new volunteering project, first have a read of this guide, Starting a Volunteering Project: The Process. After you’ve read the guide, you can apply here. Your application will be reviewed by Volunteering Committee, and if successful, we will work with you on how you can run your activities safely during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Our refund policy entitles you to a refund within 30 days of purchase if a student group you have joined doesn’t deliver what you believe you were promised. To claim a refund please email the Finance team at [email protected], copying in the student group and outlining your reasons for your refund request. The student group must confirm you are eligible for a refund before it can be approved and processed.



There are several ways to make change happen. You can have a talk to your student representatives, whether that is Sabbatical Officers, Part-time Officers, Academic Reps, or College Committees.YUSU is here to campaign on the issues that matter to you, so we encourage you to let us know your ideas, big or small. You can submit your idea for change on our YUSUggestions platform here, where other students can engage with your ideas and Sabbatical Officers will work on those that are supported.

If a student member of the Union is dissatisfied with a particular Officer or Officers, and any aspect of how they have performed their role, they can propose a motion of censure to the Accountability and Scrutiny Chair for an initial inquiry at [email protected]. You can read more about the whole officer accountability process here.

Have a look here for their contact details and keep an eye out for their weekly newsletters. You can subscribe or unsubscribe to YUSU newsletters on your account. 

Absolutely! Even if they have to look a little different this year, the elections will still be a huge opportunity for you to get involved in democracy at YUSU and having your say on who represents you. Our 2021 Elections website is now live, so have a read about what roles will be up for grabs and important dates to keep in mind!


As outlined in the Representation section of this FAQs page, YUSU oversees a network of academic representatives, such as course and department reps, who are a useful point of contact via which to raise questions and concerns about your programme of studies. If you have any feedback about your learning and the teaching you are receiving please let your academic reps know by using this form. You can also raise questions and concerns via your academic supervisor or departmental office.

It is also possible to raise a complaint with your department or the University if you are unhappy with your course or issues related to the provision of teaching. Information and guidance about the University’s complaints process can be found here. YUSU’s Advice & Support Centre (ASC) can provide confidential and independent advice and guidance on the University’s complaints process. They can be contacted at [email protected].

An academic decision or outcome - such as failure of programme, results of assessments or decisions made by a departmental Exceptional Circumstances committee - can be challenged via submission of an academic appeal to the University. It is necessary to establish clear grounds for an appeal, such as a procedural irregularity or exceptional circumstances that have impacted on academic performance or results, and an appeal usually needs to be submitted within 28 days of the academic decision or outcome that you wish to challenge. Guidance and information about the University’s academic appeals process, including links to relevant forms, is available here. YUSU’s Advice & Support Centre (ASC) can provide confidential and independent advice and guidance on options for challenging academic decisions and the University’s appeals process. They can be contacted at [email protected].

You can discuss issues that are impacting on your ability to study with your academic supervisor, and there is also a range of support contacts available on campus who you can talk to about your situation, including the Open Door Team, Student Hub, College wellbeing teams and Disability Services. If you are experiencing unforeseen health or personal circumstances that are having a short-term impact on your ability to undertake or submit assessments, then you can submit an ‘Exceptional Circumstances’ claim form to request a deadline extension or assessment referral. Information about the Exceptional Circumstances process is available on the University’s website here

If your circumstances are having, or are likely to have, a continuing impact on your ability to study then a break from studies (‘Leave of Absence’) may be a more helpful or appropriate option. Information and guidance about the Leave of Absence process is available here.

If you would like independent and confidential advice about your situation, academic and support options and/or University processes and procedures you can contact YUSU’s Advice & Support Centre (ASC) at [email protected].

There are a number of processes which may require students to attend University meetings or participate in or respond to an investigation. These include:

If you are going through any of these processes you can contact YUSU’s Advice & Support Centre for confidential advice, guidance and support throughout the process, at [email protected].

If you have particular questions or queries about your programme of studies or specific assessments, these can be raised with your academic department or academic supervisors. In addition to the academic guidance and support available from your department, the University has a range of services providing study skills support, via one-to-one sessions, workshops and online guidance. These include The Writing Centre, the Maths Skills Centre and the Academic Skills Community. For details of the full range of services, information and guidance that is available, visit the University’s Study Skills webpage.


Postgraduate students

YUSU’s range of services, activities and opportunities are available to undergraduate and postgraduate students alike.

The Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) is the primary representative body for all registered postgraduate students at the University of York. It provides a range of activities, services and support specifically for postgraduate students including: social activities, events and sports; representation of postgraduate views via its elected officers and network of postgraduate student reps; academic and wellbeing support via its dedicated advice service.


Contact us 

There's a few different ways to get in contact with us, depending on what help you're looking for: