Union President Candidate:
Hi there! I’m Patrick and I’m standing to be your next YUSU President. #Patrick4President
Reduce the cost of living for students, with a more affordable campus, greater regulation for landlords and ensuring students get value for money in their degrees.
Joined-up thinking by working with the Council, NHS and wider community in York to solve problems surrounding transport, healthcare and nights out.
Be the representative of students to the University – not the other way around. I’ll hold University management to account and ensure a fair deal for students.
Hi there! I’m Patrick and I’m running to be your next YUSU President. I’m a member of Derwent College and I’m in my third year, studying Politics.
This is just a snapshot of an ambitious programme for positive, meaningful change across the University of York, with students at the centre of change. If you have any questions, I’d love to hear from you! #PatrickforPresident
HOUSING & AFFORDABILITY
- End Circuit Laundry contracts, enabling lower prices by bringing maintenance in-house by the University
- Introduce a regulatory scheme for landlords, with an approved list, and hold badly behaving landlords to account
- Continue the Rent Rant campaign, fighting for genuinely affordable rents in both existing and new campus accommodation
- More varied and affordable food on campus and fight to reduce prices at commercial outlets
- Work with the National Union of Students to pressure the Government to restore greater maintenance grants
HEALTH & WELLBEING
- Work with the NHS to review Unity Health and the availability of GP appointments and reduce waiting times
- Expand campus sexual health advice, MESMAC and increase availability of STI testing kits and work with drug support services
- Increase funding for OpenDoor to eliminate waiting lists and enable greater joined-up guidance between support systems
- Allow students to destress through introducing free yoga and meditation throughout the year
- Ensure a more sustainable campus, and that the University takes steps to go as close to carbon neutral as soon as possible
COMMUNITY & TRANSPORT
- Protect York’s night life by supporting independent student nights across the city, develop a better YorkParties’ contract
- Work with First Buses to regulate timetables and ensure value for money and continue the #Bustice campaign with the Council
- Clearer and safer walking and cycling routes to and from campus, with adequate lighting, as well as secure bike storage, covered by CCTV
- Fight with the NUS to protect the rights of EU citizens and ensure York remains an international city, with opportunities to live and work across the world
SPORT & ACTIVITIES
- Support lobbying for fairer funding for sports clubs and ensure members aren’t restricted by financial barriers such as gym membership or hidden fees
- Expand subsidies and access grants for students from low income backgrounds to widen participation
- Streamline the process of online society finances and use the old UnityHealth building as storage space
- Ensure college committees, sports teams and societies feel supported and receive extra training where necessary – recognise and reward their contributions to build on the Love York Awards