Academic Officer Candidate:
Hi I'm Giang! I'm running to be your Academic Officer #JointheGiangGang.2
No Fears Careers: tailored employability support, overhaul the alumni system.
#BetterAssessment: ensure the assessment, feedback and marking system is clear, fair, and consistent within and between departments/schools: introducing compulsory staff mental health first aid training.
Building an inclusive York: working with Graduate Students’ Association, improving representation, creating departmental study spaces, and diversifying and liberating York.
I’m Giang, your current Academic Officer! I am re-running because there is still a lot that we need to change in our University. My experience, knowledge and network means that I can achieve more of what matters to you! #JoinTheGiangGang2 #GucciGiang
- Lobbied the University to expand students’ consultation on York Awards (YA survey) and departmental careers support
- Created more career appointments for 3rd years
- Make York Strengths more useful and accessible
- Lobby departments to integrate employability into the curriculum
- More bespoke careers events for students depending on their degree: joint up efficiently with academic societies and departments
- Overhaul alumni system
ASSESSMENT feedback and marking - make it clear, fair and consistent
- Surveying how departments support you (#TheNotSoBig Survey)
- Working with academic reps to set up assessment and revision tips workshops
- Fix: VLE and the overloaded assessment period
- Lobby for: compulsory mental health training for exam invigilators; departments to release assessment time & questions earlier
- Better support on open exams & essays
- Scale up Keep Your Cool (with the funding I secured!)
BUILD an INCLUSIVE York:
- Improved training (90-98% satisfaction) and held 1-to-1s with reps
- Lobbied the University to change their culture on student voice: See students as equals!
- Working on a proposal for a new student reps system that won’t be based solely on student volunteers
- Continue lobbying for dedicated departmental study spaces
d. Mental Health:
- With other sabbs, lobbied the University to fund more student support staff per department
- Continue work with national charities and other Student Unions
- Improve the Student Support Plan
- Create compulsory academic supervision training
- Scale up old and set up new mentoring schemes across campus
e. Interdisciplinarity, optional modules and electives:
- Continue lobbying the University to open up more options for you.