York Sport President Candidate:
My name is Maddi and I am running to be your next York Sport Pres. #madforsport
Improve facility and storage provision
A new College Sport Committee structure
Make York Sport Union go Further
- Since 2013 student numbers have increased by ~6,000. 2010 was the last new sports facility development.
- As a result, facility bookings are reaching capacity and grass pitches cannot sustain demand.
- I will continue driving a student-focused facilities narrative.
- Having consulted College and University clubs on 22 Acres Artificial Pitches and Pavilion redevelopment, I will continue discussions to secure funding.
- Continue pressuring the University for water-sports on Campus East Lake. A paper, based on student forum feedback on potential recreational opportunities, has been submitted to Campus East planners.
- Feedback from Derwent Squash Courts student users’ has enabled me to secure new future storage options, equipment funding, and improved cleaning. I will continue working with Estates to rethink how similar flat-floor space works for students.
- Improve signage on 22 Acres to help identify pitches and alternative training spaces if cancellations.
- Following the project to repurpose the old Unity Health building for storage, continue working to secure more storage on campus close to training facilities.
- Continue encouraging and supporting expansion
- Work with Playwaze to improve user experience. Introduce student stress-testing of all potential IT systems.
- The College system has continued to grow. Staff capacity has not. Campaign for a new staff member dedicated to College Sport.
- Create a dynamic, democratic College Sport Governance system with student leaders at its heart
Committees representing each College Sport, with a representative from each college.
Committees would meet to discuss issues like rule changes.
They would feed into a newly created College Sport Committee, held weekly, comprised of College Heads of Sport/Equivalent, the York Sport President and a College Sport Communications Officer.
Making York Sport Union Go Further
- Work with Student Mind to introduce training and support for Welfare Officers.
- Offer Mental Health First Aid Training to sports clubs.
- Improve relationships with sports facilities in York to provide alternative venue options.
- Introduce a carbon audit for YUSU events to set practical sustainability targets. Work alongside student Environmental groups to investigate more sustainable travel.
- I would like to see YUSU supporting more groups in organising one-off sporting events.
- Consolidate Transport options into a student-friendly guide.
- Communicate students suggested improvements to Akuma to improve their service, including an ordering process with no hidden costs.
Sport for Everyone
- Lobby for Gym Memberships that better align with student finances and club usage.
- Survey students on low commitment sport options they want to expand Get Active.
- Continue working with PTOs to develop current, and new, widening participation campaigns, encouraging a more active campus.
- Referee and Coaching Network
Bring qualifications onto Campus.
Hold skills sessions for those refereeing College Sport.
First aid qualifications for contact sports.
- Continue pushing for a Top 40 BUCS finish through reviving the Strength and Fitness Circuits project available to everyone.
- Build Roses impact and legacy in the Community through showcasing student groups in the build-up and the weekend.
- Continue building the profile of College Varsity.