Covid-19 Advice & Support

YUSU logo GSA logo

Support and guidance presented in collaboration by YUSU and the GSA

Advice & Guides


Click to expand some of our most frequently asked questions so far!

Yes, the University’s Exceptional Circumstances process has been updated so that students can self-certify if their health or wellbeing has been affected, and they are not required to provide medical evidence in support of their claims.

The scope of what may be considered ‘exceptional circumstances’ has also been widened to incorporate the many and varied ways in which a student’s ability to study or complete assessments has been impaired as a result of Covid—19.

As usual, a claim ought to be submitted prior to an assessment deadline or exam date if possible, but otherwise within 7 days of a submission deadline.

The University’s updated exceptional circumstances webpage is here, and you can read the student unions’ guidance document about exceptional circumstances here.

Yes. While in-person appointments are not available, the University’s support services, including Open Door & Disability Services and the Student Hub, are still open and available to access remotely, via email, phone, and via video call where appropriate. The University has partnered with ‘Big White Wall’ which provides online support for mental health and wellbeing and is available for all University of York students to access.

Details of University support services, including contact information, can be found here.

YUSU’s Advice & Support Centre (ASC) and the GSA advice service (for postgraduate students), are also still available from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday, for free, confidential and independent advice and guidance on academic, personal and welfare issues.

If you have student finance related queries, or need advice about your housing situation, including guidance about private tenancy agreements, you can contact the Student Hub who provide specialist advice on these issues.

The service can be contacted via their Student advice self-referral form, and further information about the service and the range of advice provided is available here.

It is advisable to speak to your academic supervisor in the first instance about any academic concerns you have about preparing for your second year of study, and options including academic support that is available at the University (e.g. at the Writing Centre and Maths Skills Centre).

Ordinarily, where a student fails there first year of undergraduate study they would be eligible to repeat their first year of study. In the current circumstances first year students are automatically progressing to the second year without having to take summer assessments – however, the option of a repeat of study remains available if a student feels they would require this and such students are advised to discuss options with their department.

Contact us 

Contact YUSU:

The Advice and Support Centre (ASC) is located at the Student Centre, James College. You can contact our service in a few different ways:

Our office hours are 10:00-16:00, Monday-Friday, except bank holidays.

Contact the GSA (for Postgraduates):

The GSA Advice Room is located upstairs in Vanbrugh, opposite the GSA Offices. We are currently conducting our advice appointments online.

You can contact the GSA Advice Service by either:

Our office hours are 10:00 - 16:00, Monday-Friday, except bank holidays.