Students with Children

Being at University whilst looking after a family and caring for children brings a whole new dimension to your experience as a student. This can be hugely rewarding, but is not without its challenges. 

In particular, we are very aware of the additional pressures that the Covid 19 situation brings this year, and the uncertainties around schooling and childcare that might result in extra demands on your time. 

If you have questions, want to talk to other student families, or need any support in managing your studies, then please get in touch with the relevant people below. There’s a wide range of  opportunities to get involved in University life, as well as support to help you manage your studies, so that you and your family get the best possible experience during your time here at York. 

Dedicated University Support: The University has a member of staff dedicated to supporting students with children. Contact Nicola Browne for more information: [email protected] 

Family Network: All students with children are invited to join the Family Network Facebook Group, which offers student parents the opportunity to meet each other, ask questions, and find out more about what’s going on for student families. The Family Network runs a number of events each term, with a wide range of activities for children, such as crafts, games, workshops and sports taster sessions. Join the Family Network University of York Facebook group to keep updated with what’s going on. 

Family Information Service: The City of York is a great, family-friendly city. If you are new to York, you may have questions about childcare or schools, or what’s on for children during the holidays - contact the City of York Council’s Family Information Service for more details. 

Frequently Asked Questions: The Graduate Student Association (GSA) has a comprehensive FAQ section for all students with children - and more information about how to contact the Family Network. 

Mature Students - If you are a mature student, you may also be interested in joining the Mature Students Association. There is also a wide range of support available through the University for Mature Students

Advice and Support. If you have questions about your studies, or any problems at home that are affecting your studies, then in the first instance you might want to talk this through with your supervisor, or someone in your Department that you feel comfortable speaking to. There is also a wide range of support available to students, and you are strongly encouraged to access support if you need it. 

If you prefer to speak in confidence to someone outside the University, then you can contact the Student Union advice services who offer independent, confidential advice and support. Contact: YUSU Advice and Support Centre, or the GSA Advice Service (for postgraduate students). 

Exceptional Circumstances - If your personal circumstances affect your ability to study, or your performance in an assessment, then you can submit an exceptional circumstances claim to request the option for an extension or the opportunity to sit the assessment again. Please note claims should ideally be made in advance of the assessment, or at the latest 7 days afterwards. If you need any advice on this process, you can speak to your supervisor or the Student Union Advisers at YUSU or GSA.