Eating Disorders

If you think you have an eating disorder, or are worried about your body image, your relationship with food and/or exercise, please seek professional help and support. The first point of contact is usually your GP.  The idea of seeking help may seem particularly daunting but please remember that your GP is there to help you and can refer you for specialist support.

You can also speak in confidence to a specialist adviser at BEAT. Beat is the UK’s eating disorder charity. They support those affected by eating disorders and campaign on their behalf. They offer a wealth of support services including:

  • Helplines such as Studentline. Students can speak to advisor by ringing 0808 801 0811 between 12pm – 8pm Monday-Friday, and 4pm – 8pm on weekends and bank holidays. Phone lines are open 365 days a year, are free of charge and do not appear on itemised bills.

  • Online support groups including a dedicated online group (called ‘Owl’) that runs once a week on a Tuesday evening (7-8pm) where students affected by eating disorders can come together and discuss any issues they face in a non-judgemental environment.

  • One-to-one webchats

Further information can be found on their website.

You can also speak to a practitioner from the University’s Open Door Team. The Open Door Team is made up of a range of professional practitioners. They support students who are experiencing emotional or mental health difficulties. For initial appointments please complete the online referral form. The Open Door Team are based in Sally Baldwin Building Block B. Tel: +44 (0)1904 322140 Email: [email protected]

Further information and resources relating to eating disorders can be found on the University of York’s webpage Eating Issues.