Issues with accommodation sometimes crop up whilst at university, whether this happens on or off campus. See below for who you can talk to when these issues arise.

On campus

For helpful information on accommodation, take a look at the university’s webpages. If you need to talk to someone go to The University’s Accommodation Office, as they deal with any issues with on-campus accommodation.


The Student Hub is the best placed to advise on private sector housing issues, including contractual and financial implications. The University’s website also has some information on their accommodation webpages.

Other support and resources

YUSU advisors can discuss your situation in a confidential and safe environment, and signpost to appropriate support, as well as advise on University processes to follow that might be relevant to your situation, especially if you feel they are affecting your ability to study.

An alternative source of support for accommodation related issues is the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), although it’s worth noting that they do not specialise in student-specific cases. You can find out more information about CAB, what they do and information on how to contact them, including drop-ins on their website.

YUSU has also produced some handy checklists for students when they are looking for private accommodation- ‘Looking at properties to rent?” and ‘Before you sign…’