Exceptional Circumstances

Covid-19 Advice and Support Hub Covid-19 Advice and Support Hub
Coronavirus (COVID-19):

YUSU Advice and Support Centre is continuing to offer advice and guidance to students via email, phone or Hangouts Meet appointments. To access our service, please complete the Confidential Advice Record and email this to [email protected]. One of our advisers will then contact you. We will endeavour to do this within 3 working days, however given the high number of enquiries we are experiencing, and adjusted working patterns, this may not always be possible. Your patience during this time is much appreciated.

The situation around the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak continues to change. YUSU is working closely with the University to feed in student views and to help shape the adjustments required for students during this time.

The University has recently made changes to its Exceptional Circumstances process - please see the University's Exceptional Circumstances webpage for up-to-date information. We will shortly be updating ASC's guidance for students, but if you have any questions, our ASC advisers will be able to guide you through this process based on the latest information available. Please note students are not required to provide medical evidence for Exceptional Circumstances claims during this time, and will allow self-certification.

What are exceptional circumstances?

Exceptional circumstances are situations that go beyond the normal difficulties experienced in life. They are usually things that are unforeseeable or unavoidable and/or outside of your control, and can significantly affect your ability to study effectively or complete assessments on time and to a good standard. Some examples of exceptional circumstances include medical circumstances, close bereavement, disabilities that do not have reasonable adjustments in place, being the victim of a serious crime and unplanned pregnancy.

If you are not sure whether your situation would be considered as exceptional circumstances, ask your department or an advisor at YUSU or the GSA (for postgraduate students).

What should you do if your ability to study is being affected by your exceptional circumstances?

You can speak in confidence to someone you trust, who should be able to listen and advise you on your options. People you can talk to include:

  • Your academic supervisor or a member of staff from your department

  • YUSU Advice and Support Centre

  • The Graduate Students’ Association (GSA) Advice Service (for Postgraduates)

  • Student Support Services

  • Your college welfare team

Why is it important to tell someone at the time?

Always seek help at the earliest opportunity if you’re experiencing difficulties that impact your academic performance. If these circumstances prevent you completing an assessment on time, you could fail to perform to the expected minimum standard or fail a whole module - which could result in you achieving a lower degree classification or being discontinued from your course.

It is important to submit a claim at the time as if not, this can present a significant challenge to successfully appealing a decision. So if you are experiencing difficulties, it is best to speak to someone about it and use the processes that are in place to help you.

How do you claim exceptional circumstances?

The exceptional circumstances form can be found here. The form must be completed and submitted to your departmental office before the assessment deadline if possible, and no later than 7 calendar days after the assessment(s).

The form must be sent from your University of York email address, and supporting evidence should be submitted with the claim form, or otherwise at the earliest opportunity.

What evidence do you need to provide?

Exceptional circumstances claims will not be considered without evidence. It is important that you seek support as soon as possible from a doctor, counsellor or other relevant service to help with your circumstances, and they might be able to provide you with some evidence.

Evidence should:

  • be from a third party professional who saw you at the time the circumstances were affecting you

  • include their professional opinion on whether the circumstances have had an impact on your ability to study

How can a YUSU advisor help you?

We can arrange a free independent and confidential appointment with you, to discuss your situation and any options available to you. We can also look through draft versions of your claim and advise on getting it in the best shape possible before submission.

What is a programme extension, and when would this be right for you?

A programme extension is a potential option for students who have exceptional circumstances and need an extended period of time, in order to complete their assessments but have no teaching left to complete. Normally, programme extensions are applied for towards the end of an academic year when a student has attended all their taught hours, and only have assessments due in. As with an exceptional circumstances claim, you will need to provide evidence from a third party professional about the ongoing impact of your circumstances on your ability to study, but would also need to give their professional opinion on a realistic time frame in which you can complete your work to your normal standard.

If you think you need an extended period of time out of University, in particular due to personal circumstances, or for health reasons, a Leave of Absence (LOA) might be an option worth considering. There is more information about this in the ‘Transfer, Withdraw, LOA’ tab. If you’re unsure about the best option for you, contact us, and we will be able to advise on this.

Key documents & information