University Radio York
About University Radio York
URY is the UK’s oldest independent radio station (we’re 52 years old, making us older than literally everyone except the BBC).
Despite our age, we still get out and about a lot. We cover all of the University’s biggest events, from Freshers and Roses to Summer Ball and YUSU Elections. It’s not just about events though: we provide music and audio to campus bars, and run 24/7 in term time with a mix of shows on any topic you can imagine (if you can’t see it on the schedule, apply for it yourself!)
There’s something for everyone at URY, and you can get involved with as much or as little as you like - check out our Get Involved section for more on what makes up one of the University’s largest media groups.
Our Station Meetings are every Monday at 7pm in V/N/123a.
If it’s your first time getting involved with URY, we recommend coming along to our Production Meetings every Monday at 8pm - these are a space where we can give you feedback and resources to try out any radio-related idea you have!
Also, our various teams meet throughout the week in Vanbrugh Arms and V/N/123a, so if you’re interested in something specific, check out how to register interest in those in the Get Involved section below.
URY is open to anyone and everyone!
- If you want to present or produce radio, DJ, or record a podcast, we have brand new industry standard studios
- If you want to get involved with broadcast or sound engineering, we do lots of live events and also maintain our own studios all year
- If you’re interested in music production, we record sessions with local artists and design all of our own station sound
- If you’re keen to develop your marketing skills, we have social media accounts with thousands of followers and a national award nominated brand
- If you want to try out web design or software engineering, all of our software is designed and run in house
- Plus, if you want to commentate on sport, learn to news read, chat about music, or wax lyrical about theatre, culture and the arts, there’s content teams for you too!
If you have no clue about any of the above but just have a vague interest in radio or podcasts and want to have a laugh, then URY is also the place for you!
To get involved, head to ury.org.uk/getinvolved and tick the boxes at the bottom of the page that are applicable to you! Or just head to V Bar where our committee spend most of their time.