About Drama Society
DramaSoc is one of the most active student drama societies in Britain run entirely by students for the benefit of other students. We are based in ‘The Drama Barn’, our student run venue and put on two plays a week during term time.
On Monday nights we hold ‘Open Drama Nights’ (ODNs) at 7.30pm, offering students an opportunity to get their writing seen by an audience for the first time. These are free for students, families and friends to watch and we love to hear feedback. You can find out more about ODNs and how to get involved on our Facebook group.
For the remainder of the week, we produce ‘Weekend Shows’. These run Friday/Saturday and Sunday evenings (sometimes with an extra performance on Thursday). For more information check out our group.
Our goal is to provide an inclusive platform for students to put on exciting and innovative theatre projects every week of every term, as well as to create an inviting space for everyone to get involved in all aspects of theatre.
Check out these links below to start getting involved!
- Email: [email protected]
- Tickets - TicketSource
- Main Facebook Page
- Main Facebook Group
- ODN Facebook Page
- Writer’s Circle Group
- Theatre Workshops Group
Open Barn: Usually Mondays 12:00-14:00 in ‘The Drama Barn’. Come along if you want to get involved in tech or backstage theatre, find out more about dramasoc, have a look around the barn or/and have a biscuit. NB. due to COVID we are operating on a appointment basis for open barn please email us ([email protected]) for more information.
Writer’s Circle: Mondays 18:00-19:00 usually in SLB/210, now online this term. A free, comfortable and encouraging space for anyone who wants to learn more about playwriting, improving their writing skills and meet other writers. Join the Facebook group!
Open Meeting: Wednesday 13.45-14:00, now online this term. If you have any theatre opportunities, feedback for the committee or ideas for Dramasoc, come along and let us know. This is weekly casual meeting open to all our members to hear the updates over the last week.
Theatre Workshop: Wednesdays 17:00-19:00 usually in The Dixon Drama Studio (in Wentworth, now online this term. These are welcome to all theatre lovers, to help you to experiment with your acting, directing and writing and best of all - they're free! Join the Facebook group!
Every show we do is entirely done by our members, so if there is something you would like to try or you’re not sure if we do it get in touch with us!
- ACTORS – We have auditions running throughout the entire year! ‘Weekend Show’ auditions are usually held week nine of each term and ‘ODN’ auditions are always advertised through our Facebook groups. Both are friendly auditions with the extracts outside the rooms, so you don’t need to prepare ANYTHING! If you require specific arrangements such as larger writing or more time to read extracts please email us and we will be happy to accommodate. But, just bring yourself and turn up at any time between the hours advertised for the audition and be confident! For anyone who wants to act in a more chilled environment we have our weekly ‘Theatre Workshops’ open to everyone for free.
- TECHNICIANS - We're always looking for people interested in tech. Most of our shows are in need of someone to help with all aspects of this; from lighting and sound design to rigging and running a show. Let us know if you'd like to help out, no matter what your experience is. We are happy to train those willing to learn and learn from those with experience! The easiest way to get involved is to go to ‘Open Barn’ and have a chat with our barn team.
- DIRECTORS + PRODUCERS - For all you budding directors and producers, we have opportunities for you! All our shows are pitched by members, so if you have a show you would like to put on, come along to our workshops and open meeting. Pitching workshops explain the entire process of putting on a show and are held over weeks five, six and seven. Then, you are welcome to pitch your show to us at our panel held week seven every term. You can also direct and produce for ODNs, for more information check out the ODN Facebook group
- WRITERS - We are massive supporters of student writing and we love putting brand new plays on. To learn more about playwriting come along to ‘Writer’s Circle’ or, if you want to hear your work in process performed by actors in a safe and relaxed environment bring it along to our ‘Theatre Workshops’. If you want to see your work performed in the barn pitch it as an ‘ODN’ make sure to pitch it at the end of term, keep a lookout on our emails for more information. You can also pitch your work as a ‘Weekend Show’ in week nine. Every year we also take two pieces of student writing to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, have a look on our website to find out more.
- PRODUCTION TEAM ROLES - We have opportunities for all production roles including: Assistant Directors, Assistant Producers, Stage Managers, Assistant Stage Managers, Costume Designers, Hair and Makeup Designers, Set Designer, Technicians, Dramaturgs and Publicity and Advertisement Roles (P+P). To get involved in any of these aspects of theatre please email us or check out all our social medias for endless opportunities.
- AUDIENCES - Come along and support your friends and family every week! Our ‘Open Drama Nights’ (ODNs) are Monday nights at 7.30pm and are free for everyone. Our ‘Weekend Shows’ are £5 for members, £6 for students, £4 for opening nights (both student and member price) and £7 for Adults. Tickets are available via ticketsource.